Solid Waste Rate Changes
Collection: Curbside Pickup
- Houston County is in the midst of a 5 year contract with Waste Management, who has asked for a mid-contract price adjustment in consideration of significant labor cost changes as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and significant inflationary pressure.
- Market conditions dictate that it is to the financial advantage of the citizens of Houston County to engage in good-faith negotiations with Waste Management rather than seek a new contractor.
- The services provided remain the same in the re-negotiated contract. Houston County customers will receive higher levels of service related to recycling, yard waste, and bulk pick-up.
- Houston County has historically subsidized trash pickup for citizens in the unincorporated areas of the county, a subsidy which will grow to more than $4 per customer per month in 2023. Ceasing this subsidy will allow us to better fund fire service and staff new full-time stations being built.
Staff has recommended signing a re-negotiated three-year contract with Waste Management and adjusting collection rates for customers from $13 to $21.95.
Disposal: Landfill Tipping Fees
- The Houston County Landfill has emerged as the regional low-cost provider for disposal of municipal solid waste (MSW), construction & demolition debris (C&D), and yard waste. The landfill’s rates are approximately half or less of the advertised rates of other local landfills and transfer stations. Rates at the landfill have not changed in more than 25 years.
- The landfill has seen increased tonnage in recent years, and instead of improving financials, the operating loss at the landfill has increased. In FY 2022 the landfill experienced an operating loss of $1.2M.
- The landfill is owned by the citizens of Houston County and should primarily benefit them. Any use by regional municipal or commercial partners should be to the advantage of the citizens. As such, host fees should be appropriately set to ensure that Houston County citizens experience the primary benefit from the landfill.
Staff has recommended the following changes to tipping fees:
- MSW increasing from $20.50 to $22.50 per ton
- C&D increasing from $15.50 to $18.50 per ton
- Host fees increasing from $2.00 to $4.00 per ton
- A scale fee of $5.00 for cash and check customers
These proposals will be considered at the
March 21, 5:00pm meeting of the
Houston County Board of Commissioners
held at 200 Carl Vinson Parkway, Warner Robins.