Thank you for visiting Houston County’s Outdoor Recreation Page. Houston County Board of Commissioners maintains two sites for the enjoyment of its citizens and visitors. While all efforts are made to ensure these sites remain open to the public, occasionally they must be closed for safety reasons or for scheduled repairs. Houston County appreciates your visit and your efforts to help keep these sites clean and safe. If you have any safety concerns regarding either site, please contact either Houston County Public Works at 478-987-4280 or Houston County Emergency Management Agency at 478-542-2026.
The following rules have been established for each site to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment is maintained for all visitors:
(Georgia Highway 127 across from Bear Branch Rd)
- Hours of Operations – Dawn to Dusk
- No swimming, skiing, or jet skis allowed.
- No alcoholic beverages.
- No Loitering.
- No Hunting or discharging firearms.
- All boats shall be operated at idle speed and no wake speed.
- All fishing and boating subject to Rules and Regulations of the State of Georgia including but not limited to:
- Flotation Devices in all Boats.
- Minimum Age for Boat Operation, etc.
(Georgia Highway 96 at the Ocmulgee River)
Houston County, GA Code of Ordinances
Sec. 42-3. – Houston County public boat landing; acts prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any person while on the property owned by the county known as the Houston County Public Boat Landing, located at Georgia Highway 96 and the Ocmulgee River, to commit any of the following acts:
- Consume any alcoholic beverage;
- Discharge any firearm;
- Camp or stay overnight;
- Building or maintain any open fire; or
- Swim in the Ocmulgee River.
Violation of this section shall be punishable upon conviction as provided in section 1-11.